Greek yogurt is a great snack that has really gained popularity over the past few years! Its great taste, thick and creamy texture, and protein-packed nutrition profile is a winning combination. The thing about Greek yogurt that people tend to forget is what a really versatile substitute is it. It can be used in place of more fattening (and much less nutritious) products, let’s say for example, sour cream.
Here are five reasons to sour on sour cream and cozy up to the Greek yogurt:
- Greek yogurt is by leaps and bounds a healthier alternative to sour cream. Let’s compare, so you’re not just taking my word for it:
1 cup light sour cream 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt Calories: 337 Calories: 140 Saturated fat: 16 grams Saturated fat: 0 grams Cholesterol: 87 mg Cholesterol: 10 mg Sodium: 176 mg Sodium: 95 mg Total Carb: 17 g Total Carb: 11 g Protein: 9 g Protein: 24 g
- It’s economical! A large 32oz container of Greek yogurt (non-organic, store-brand) was $1.50 less expensive than a 16oz container of sour cream.
- Compared to light sour cream (which tends to be on the watery side), Greek yogurt is a much thicker and richer substitute for food toppings and dips – I’m thinking tacos, baked potatoes, and creamy spinach dip!
- Aside from toppings and dips, Greek yogurt can be used in place of sour cream (and other fats) in most recipes too.
- It tastes like real sour cream. You won’t be able to tell the difference between Greek yogurt and real (not light) sour cream – even on a baked potato. That’s a fact, Jack! To prove the point, tonight at dinner my kids were heaping Greek yogurt onto their black beans, assuming that it was sour cream. Nobody was the wiser, except for me of course.
Don’t be afraid to try Greek yogurt to replace heavy cream or half-and-half either. It makes a really great substitute for mashed potatoes and pasta dishes. Greek yogurt can even be used in baking. Below is a chart I found on the Chobani website that shows conversions for a lot of different baking and cooking substitutions. Definitely worth a try!
*Not an endorsement for Chobani!